- Crooked (pg 34): Not straight; Bending; or Not straightforward; Dishonest; or Askew; Awry
- Ill-fitting (pg 33): Not fitting well
- "His smile was mocking." this is a personification because a smile cant really mock.
- "If he said something of which they disapproved, they would mutter insults at him." this is another personification because they is referring to the books on a shelf.
- "They tasted wrong." this is imagery because it refers to the sense taste.
- "You know how sometimes a story seems to be about one thing, but in fact it's about another thing entirely? there's a meaning hidden in it, and that meaning has to be teased out." this quote is by David's dad and i think it's important because it might be foreshadowing something to come. Also it might be stating that there's a hidden meaning in this book.
A theme in this book i think is emerging is that it's fairy tale-ish.